The following is reprinted from the current issue of the March 204 BCTF Teacher newsmagazine .
Are you a second-language teacher with at least five years’ teaching experience? Are you interested in sharing pedagogy for English as an additional language with teacher colleagues in Peru this summer?
The BCTF has been offering professional-development workshops for teachers in Peru for six years, during the school holiday there at the end of July through to mid-August. These are co-sponsored with SUTEP, the Peruvian teachers’ union.
The BCTF International Solidarity Program pays for travel (airfare, etc.) and living expenses in Peru (accommodation, meals, etc.) for project participants for the duration of the project.
Criteria for selection as a team member include:
- BCTF membership (active status)
- Specialized training and experience in second-language teaching, as you will be presenting a pedagogical workshop on this topic to colleagues in Peru
- Minimum five years of classroom teaching experience
- Fluent speaker of English
- Spanish speaking skills are an asset
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Experience working with adults, ideally in developing workshops and delivering them
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team
- Flexibility in dealing with challenging situations, such as developing-country conditions
- Ability to work with minimal resources and improvise
- Commitment to participate in project meetings and pre-trip preparation of teaching materials
- Union experience in the BCTF and/or local
- Valid Canadian passport.
- To learn more about the Peru Project, and to access the application form, go to http://www.bctf.ca/OpportunitiesforMembers.aspx. The application deadline is March 31, 2014
Questions? Contact Anne Field, firstname.lastname@example.org, in the BCTF Research Department, 604-871-2251, or toll-free, 1-800-663-9163.